January is Southland’s month of prayer and fasting! I thought it would be a good idea to have a quick-check in that you can talk to your kids about. Remember the month of prayer and fasting goes for a month! It is easy to start strong and then peter out a bit by the end and I would encourage you not to do that! Here are some things I would highly recommend doing with your kids again this week.
- Remind them that it is the month of prayer and fasting and what that means. It means we are choosing to put things aside that normally take up our time so that we can remove some of the distractions that keep us from connecting with God.
- Talk to them about their prayer requests and ask them if they feel God is answering any of their prayers.
- Ask them how you can pray for their special requests and then do it.
- Tell them about some of your prayer requests and let them know whether God has given you any direction yet this month.
- Ask them to help you do listening prayer for the things you are praying about – you would be amazing what God might reveal through the mouths of babes!
- Remind them that it is our job to also pray for our church and our leaders. Spend time looking over Southland’s corporate prayer requests. Ask them if they understand why Pastor Ray is asking us to pray for these things and help them understand the vision behind what we are doing.
- Finally, I think it is important to continually keep a heart for those who don’t know Jesus, so spend time praying for the friends and family you have that don’t know Jesus.
Remember the exhortation of Deuteronomy 6:
Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (NLT)
4 “Listen, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD alone.
5 And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength.
6 And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today.
7 Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up.
8 Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders.
9 Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
I hope your family continues to meet with Jesus this month and all year as you teach the fasted lifestyle to your kids!